Contrary to popular belief, we are all not invincible. No matter how carefully we drive or how well we take care of our cars, something will inevitably happen. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen ten years from now, but what matters is how prepared you are when the time comes. Storing a few essentials in your car can make a world of difference, so consider throwing these in your shopping cart the next time you’re at the store:
1. Jumper cables. As you may know from experience, it is difficult to find someone who both has the time and the necessary jumper cables to come bail out your car when the battery dies. Keeping a set of jumper cables in the car may be unsightly, but they’ll get you out of a tight spot quickly.
2. First-aid kit. It’s always good to have a few medical supplies handy for family outings. A decent first-aid kit should include Band-Aids, antiseptic ointments, gauze, and so forth.
3. Tire gauge. Make a habit of checking your tire pressure periodically while at the gas station. A little effort can save you a lot of trouble when you suddenly discover your tire is flat. Don’t forget to check the spare, too.
4. Duct tape. We joke about the seemingly endless uses of duct tape, but a spare roll can come in handy in a pinch.
5. Poncho. Yes, they are a complete fashion disaster, but they will keep you dry if you need to change a tire in the middle of a Hawaiian rainstorm. You will never be so grateful for a cheap plastic sarape again